I Write, Therefore IWOSC!
Write for a living? Join the club! IWOSC is open to those who write for a living...or aspire to. Bylines. Deadlines. The bottom line. They all lead to IWOSC. Independent Writers of Southern California brings together journalists, business writers, authors, copywriters, playwrights, poets, screenwriters and others for networking and professional development. What's in it for you?
- Speakers We gather one weeknight each month to hear guest speakers discuss such topics as writing for broadcast, comedy writing, travel and food writing, interviewing, writing web content, starting a novel and building a profitable freelance business. In addition, members are welcome at all "satellite" sessions held in various geographic areas or on specific types of writing. For instance, the Pasadena/Altadena satellite gathers over coffee one morning each month.
- Workshops Monthly Saturday morning workshops feature comprehensive, often interactive, presentations. Past sessions have covered marketing yourself, preparing book proposals, crafting query letters, journal writing and designing web sites.
- Parties IWOSC's twice-annual parties are perfect opportunities to forget nagging editors, crazy clients and other occupational hazards. Traditionally, IWOSC has chosen unusual venues such as the Old Mill in San Marino, the historic Gilmore Adobe House and the Groundlings Theatre.
- Networking Members have lots of chances to chat up other writers at events and through volunteering, but IWOSC offers other ways to connect. The directory lists members' names, access information and brief summaries on their writing expertise. IWOSC's eGroup lets members read and reply to messages, and peruse a calendar of events.
- Information The IWOSC web site features general information as well as links to writing-related sites and members' sites. The newsletter is another great source of information for and about members.
- Benefits In addition to free admission to meetings and reduced prices for workshops and parties, your membership gives you access to a local credit union and the expertise of an intellectual property attorney. Plus, the IWOSC grievance committee helps resolve payment problems with clients or publications. IWOSC helps members write better and work smarter. Isn't it time you joined the club?
To join IWOSC, download and print our .pdf application (15k), complete it and send it with your check to:
PO Box 34279
Los Angeles, CA 90034.
Dues: $110 new members or members rejoining after 12 months; includes a one-time processing fee; annual renewals $75.
Remember, you can pay for your membership, renewals, and more at Paypal.com. Submit your payment to email@example.com.
IWOSC™ ~ PO Box 34279, Los Angeles, CA 90034 ~ 310-773-8075 ~ info (at) iwosc.org
Copyright 2005-2015 IWOSC. All rights reserved.
IWOSC is a non-profit professional association.
Its for-profit subsidiary, IWOSC Corp., sponsors the job line, directory, & this site.
Site maintained by Deborah Shadovitz; hosting thanks to Matthew A. Gilbert.